Monday, August 10, 2009

I have been contemplating for the past week how to word this blog entry. I wish that I had different news to share, but unfortunately, my life and the decision we have had to make is one that is becoming more of a reality each day. After meeting with the amazing docs in Cincy, talking with my Priest, Counselor, Family and close friends, I am ready to say what is soon becoming my reality. After much soul searching, praying, crying and such, Greg and I have decided that after our son Jonathan is born we will be offering him comfort care until God takes him home. When reading this, I mostly feel numb; a feeling that I have come to know much of lately. I spoke with the coordinator in Cincy, and the team there understands our decision and back us due to the devastating conclusions of our MRI last week. Jonathan has only 10% lung volume, due to his heart, stomach, bowel, gallbladder and liver taking up his entire chest. This is an evaluation that has not changed since week 24. ( I am 35 weeks now.) Greg and I feel that no matter what life support machines or drugs are available, our son would suffer unnecessarily and we want our son to peacefully leave us as it seems it has been determined. CDH is not something that could have been prevented, it is not something that we did wrong, or that when this severe, it can not be fixed with any "normal" means.
I have started to make arrangements for his funeral and burial; something that is so unthinkable when you are pregnant with a child. It is so devastating to know that this is where we are headed after such a long journey, but somethings are our of our human hands. I know that God has a plan, and I am trying so very hard to faithfully accept our fate. I am very angry at this situation, and I have to take it one hour at a time every single day. I try and remember my blessings at a time when I can feel so very hopeless. I know that God gave me Samantha first for a reason, and her life is my sunshine.
As I continue on this journey I will continue to update this post to let people know how we are. This is such a real journey, and if nothing else, I want others to walk away after reading it knowing they are not alone when they are faced with decisions and situations out of their control.
There is an amazing organization that if interested, one can look into in order to learn more about CDH: www.cdhsupport.org. (CHERUBS) When the time comes for us to say goodbye to our angel, I am asking that instead of flowers, a donation be sent to this organization in order to assist other parents in their journey, research and the such. If only we knew more about this condition. Perhaps then we could have been approved for tracheal occlusion; a procedure that perhaps would have allowed Jonathan's lung to grow and keep some of the organs from herniating. CDH is a condition that affects so many families, and until my son was diagnosed, I didn't even know what it was. Now it has changed my life forever. I am so sad to have to write this, face this, live this. But, as I have said, I am trying to trust that the plan that is laid before me is so much bigger than my own understanding. The faith of understanding one day my suffering is one thing that keeps me going.

We appreciate our family and friends for their continued prayers, thoughts, and kind words. I know too well how in a time like this it is hard to find the right things to say, but know this: We appriciate you all so very much, and without you all it would be even more impossible to get through this. Our love to you all.

3 comments:

  1. (((HUGS))) Tiffany, Greg, and Samantha. I am in tears reading your post and I know there are no words to take away your pain and suffering. In the short time I have got to know more about your family, I have learned you are an amazing couple and family and love both your children so much. My heart goes out to you during this time and I want you to know if you need to talk, I am here for you. I pray the time you have on this earth with Jonathan is precious and he is surrounded by much love from his family. Like I have told you before Tiffany, "There is no foot so small it cannot leave its imprint on this world." Jonathan will forever live on in your hearts and will forever be your son until you meet again. CDH has brought so many people into my life, but you happen upon a rare gem once in awhile and your little boy has touched my heart.

    I know what I am about to write is hard to take in, but there is an organization out there, Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, that you can contact (their services are completely free) and they will come in and capture your moments with your son. They are not invasive and they respect your time with your son. http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/about_us/ is their site and there is a link to find a photographer in your area. Let me know if you want help in contacting them, if you are interested. This is something hard to think about it, but may be something you and Greg want to have down the road.

    Your beautiful family is in my thoughts and prayers. Much love to you in the days to come,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, I just heard about Jonathan earning his angel wings yesterday...my heart is breaking for you right now and I want you to know I am always here for you. I am so very sorry. Much love to you, Greg, and Samantha. Praying for comfort and strength for you and your family.

    Hugs, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany & Greg, you may not know who I am but I've heard so much about you guys and know you are Wonderful people with God's Great Strength. Though you may not know, you have been in my prayers from the time my cousin, Kiki & Lamar, told me of your situation. Because I know how wonderful you guys have been to them, I've grown to love your family because of the love you guys have for mine. I pray that God gives you Strenght, courage, and understaning in this situation and he will show you the way. Keep the faith and believe that he will NEVER give you more than you can bare. I can see from reading your blog that you Definately is one with God Great Faith and what a blessing it is to know God's Love and mercy. Know for sure that God has Such a great plan for you down the road, although it may not seem that way right now, but the God I believe in and the one you also believe in is an Amazing God and he ALWAYS see us through. Be strong my sister and God loves you, that's why he remains with you know. Don't give up and keep the Faith. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete